Day hikes work, too. I'd recommend this trail anyways as an alt. http://www.coloradotrail.org/. 303-275-5610 I just did 1-2 and it was so dry. Colorado Trail Segment 4 is by far the most pretty of the first 4 segments while working through 16.6 miles of hiking and 3,330 feet of elevation gain. The trail rose up to a decent view of the surrounding mountains, though the most majestic of the snowcapped peaks are still a ways off. Saw elk, a moose, and loads of deer getting to the trail. The Colorado Trail Hikers smartphone app is another great resource, providing the most up-to-date information on water sources along the CT, including access to Trail user reports that may be only hours or days old. 710 10th Street Rm 210 Not difficult- relatively flat, for a mountain trail. Water may be available in small quantities, but should not be considered reliable. My wife and I are on a journey to hike the entire Colorado Trail (segments at a time) and on this day we hiked segment 2 and 3. Tag: is there water on segment 28 colorado trail. Several hikers have lost food and equipment, their trips upended or ruined. Like. MAP: Trails Illustrated PERMITS: none (easy self-registration for wilderness areas) DESIGNATION: primarily 7 different National Forests BEST SEASONS: July, August, September DISTANCE: 485 miles from Denver to Durango WATER: I thru-hiked with 4 liters capacity. Get Here. Colorado Trail : Segment 13 is a 20.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. For Segment 5 (Long Gulch Trailhead to Kenosha East Trailhead), bikes are not allowed beyond/east of the Rock Creek Road/NFSR 133 from the Rock Creek Trailhead. And I had to let dozens pass.If you want to avoid this, you could hike west on FS 550 to Tramway Trailhead then hike that connector south for a good mile until it connects to the CT. More Stats for Colorado Trail (Seg 5.2) bike trail Started hiking around 7:00am and finished at noon. August 2010. Gorgeous views and lovely pine forest, slightly rolling hills. At around mile 4, the trail begins a moderate climb on a somewhat rocky path up into a valley. Colorado Trail Segment 3 – Winter Solitude Posted on February 26, 2017 By A Roar Har 1 Comment. At mile 3.4, cross a 4WD road called Lily Lake Road. Both books are available at our online store at ColoradoTrail.org. Colorado Trail Segment 3 . Water Quality Control Division (WQCD)GIS data. Colorado Trail Segment 3: The Bikers. Not as difficult as the first two segments with many cool rock formations along the way. We will be documenting our journey on my website and YouTube if you want to check it out for yourself. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Access to Water: Colorado Trail Segment 5 has a great water source right off the bat in a stream you must cross. After this point, your next sources will not be for 3-5 miles in, but are usually pretty consistent. Day 3 of a detailed online journal documenting a thru-hike of the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango. Note – data book gives directions for Denver to Durango, requiring extra brain power going opposite direction. Bathrooms about 1 mile in at the parking lot area. Welcome to the Trail . I nearly (not kidding) was run over twice when they came zooming around corners. Segment 4 of the Colorado Trail #1776 brings the hiker up out of the Ponderosa pine forests north of the Lost Creek Wilderness and into the open parks and Lodgepole pine and Douglas fir forests to the west. The Colorado Trail is a long-distance trail extending for 486 miles from the mouth of Waterton Canyon southwest of Denver to Durango in Colorado. Get Here. Map of outstanding waters (ArcGIS online map). Fortunately, the trail is well worn and our guide book helped with navigation. I left the trail at the Buffalo campground connector so I don’t know what the last five miles are like. This is the first edition Guidebook that covers both the CT Collegiate East and CT Collegiate West. Consider the time of year when you start (July to August are the ideal months) and which end of the Colorado Trail you want to start from. It’s cold and there is fresh snow on the ground, but it’s Colorado, so the sun is shining and it’s a perfect day for a hike. Dogs are also able to use this trail. It isn’t always possible to hike an entire segment in a weekend, so for Segment 11, I broke it into two portions by adding my own checkpoint at the Interlaken Trailhead. Would recommend this trail early morning or late afternoon- midday wouldn’t have much shade and there isn’t a great deal of water- some, though. Colorado Trail : Segment 13 is a 20.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. General Information Parking: The Little Scraggy Trailhead is located in the eastern portion of the BCRA, and is the beginning point for Segment 3 of the Colorado Trail (#1776), and also provides access to the Little Scraggy Trail (#765) and other nearby trail segments.. Map Book waypoints in electronic format are available to download for free. Was pleasantly surprised with it. CT - Segment 1: Waterton Canyon to South Platte River ... Once you break free of the climb, keep right on the Colorado Trail and start a really fun descent. Figure on about three hours for biking this trail segment and six hours for hiking it. Once above treeline, Indian Trail Ridge consists of … Segment 3 of the Colorado Trail (#1776) begins at the Little Scraggy Trailhead in the Buffalo Creek Recreation Area. Elbert to what we called “Part A” as well, since Elbert’s trail directly intersects the CT. to the CT because the views are INCREDIBLE. CT Segment 11A. 40,000 words and 1,500 photos. We still have a long way to go (414 miles over the remaining 23 segments). I hiked to mile 26.6 and walked over to the North Fork Fire Station to refill water and have lunch on their little shady bench. Great hike. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. There is, however, an outdoor spigot at the North Fork Volunteer Fire Department building about 200 yards northwest of the CT at mile 10.1 of Segment 2. However....... holy jeeze AllTrails mileage was so far off from the stated 13.3, not sure if my app just needed severe updating or what the issue was. The area around Little Scraggy Peak was my favorite. This planning guide covers when to go, which direction, navigation, dangers, section highlights, elevation, wildlife, terrain difficulty, how long it takes and more. At around mile 4, the trail begins a moderate climb on a somewhat rocky path up into a valley. Trail on Redskin Creek, Morrison Creek, Buffalo Creek, and Tramway Creek in Pike National Forest. (Click here to access the list.). Like. For Segment 5 (Long Gulch Trailhead to Kenosha East Trailhead), bikes are not allowed beyond/east of the Rock Creek Road/NFSR 133 from the Rock Creek Trailhead. UPDATE AS OF DEC 7: Sorry these books are still out-of-stock. Shortly after that, cross the North Fork of Tennessee Creek which is a smaller stream and, at mile 3.7, cross West Tennessee Creek over a nice bridge. You could instead do “segment travel” and complete the Colorado Trail over several seasons. This hike brings our total distance hiked so far to 72 miles, over the first 5 segments of the Colorado Trail. This second half was a meandering walk in the woods. Divided into 28 segments, it can be hiked in 4-6 weeks straight through, in segments, or just in bits and pieces because it is so dang beautiful. I was wondering how water availability was looking for segments 3-5 these days. This segment is largely dense forest with limited veiws. You can park where this takes you or you can go up and park in a larger parking area. Colorado Trail Segment 24 of 28 Posted on September 25, 2019 May 13, 2020 by MAD Hippies Life If the avalanche debris we were finding off on the side of the road was any determination to what we were bypassing in Elk Creek, we were assured of our decision to take the detour. Within a … Colorado Trail : Segment 3 is a 21.4 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Buffalo Creek, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. Bike: Contrary to what some guidebooks say, there is no reason not to ride this segment. Very easy and pleasant. The GPS directions do take you to the trail, there are two smaller pull-offs you can park at for free but if you want a parking lot experience with a bathroom continue about 1 mile West and park in the lot marked for the National Forest/Little Scraggy Peak. ELEVATION: average ~10,300 feet ROUTE: well maintained, popular trail, signed junctions GUIDEBOOK: Colorado Trail 9th Edition DATA BOOK: 7th Edition I only saw a handful of other hikers, but there were a LOT of mountain bikers out. After hiking segments 1 and 2 of the Colorado Trail, I decided to tackle one more segment that was close to home -- segment 3. Summer thunderstorms are frequent; if you see lightning, descend and seek shelter. How to thru-hike the Colorado Trail from end to end complete with a detailed and zoomable interactive map of the entire 486 mile long distance trail. ... occurrence resulted in the creation of unstable ice which caused local agencies to restrict access to certain bodies of water, including Jamestown Reservoir, and excessive snow limited access to a number of fisheries over the winter. The hike is astonishing. There were a few other hikers and bikes on the trail. So, in early May, I blocked off a weekend to hit the trail for the first time on Segment 1. Once you leave the confines of Buffalo Creek, passing the Meadows Group Campground, the trail stays nestled in the pine-filled woods, but begins a grueling climb to its terminus at CT - Segment 4 (Wellington Road). Explanation of stream segment 8 character description. My recording yielded around 20 miles. Who We Are. Segment 27 includes four miles along Indian Trail Ridge that are scenic and dramatic, then a descent to Taylor Lake which is a popular camping spot. A usually reliable water source may, for instance, dry up earlier than expected, so we recommend “topping off” your supply whenever possible. Map of stream segmentation (ArcGIS online map). There is about .9 of a mile difference between the two. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Segment 10 of the Colorado Trail. My boyfriend’s tracker (that is typically on the conservative side) clocked just over 15 miles, mine closer to 17. For the third weekend in a row, I continued my path down the Colorado Trail segments toward Durango. It’s SO SO busy with mountain bikers though. You could instead do “segment travel” and complete the Colorado Trail over several seasons. Golden CO 80401 Water sources are abundant along most of The Colorado Trail, but given the importance of hydration to those traveling in Colorado’s high country, users should not be complacent about carrying adequate supplies with them at all times. Affiliate Disclosure. Colorado Trail : Segment 16 is a 14.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Sargents, Colorado that features a river. The Colorado Trail is a long-distance trail extending for 486 miles from the mouth of Waterton Canyon southwest of Denver to Durango in Colorado. I was puzzled why this trail was rated Difficut, but I suppose that is due to its distance more than due to its grade. This has happened in this area over and over. The trail itself, is in absolutely wonderful condition! ... Colorado Trail: Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass 12.2 mi 19.7 km • 2,622' Up 799.19 m Up • 890' Down 271.32 m Down. Well-maintained trail. The trail, starting at Hotel Draw, continues south to gradually climb to treeline. Would like to go back and head the other direction on the trail (towards Waterton Canyon) to see the burned trees. Virtual Tour of CT - Segment 5: Long Gulch to Kenosha Pass. Here is some additional information on the CT’s three driest stretches: All natural water sources should be treated before drinking. Segments of the CT. Note – data book gives directions for Denver to Durango, requiring extra brain power going opposite direction. Alex and I added Mt. Segment 26 includes Blackhawk Pass, just a smidge above treeline. Shortly after that, cross the North Fork of Tennessee Creek which is a smaller stream and, at mile 3.7, cross West Tennessee Creek over a nice bridge. Parked one car at the beginning of segment 4 and drove another car to the beginning of segment 3. Colorado Trail segment 2 officially ends at the Little Scraggy Trail (marked on map). The app is available for both iPhone and Android devices via atlasguides.com/colorado-trail. After that the trail flattens out for the most part, with a brief stretch of forested area that provides some shade. Reprint supply is due around mid-January. Trail on South Platte River and Spring Creek in Pike National Forest. By the time I arrived at the river at the end of segment one through Waterton Canyon, I was again prepared to carry my full 5-liter capacity of water in the form of a 3-liter bladder and two 1-liter Smartwater bottles. (See more information on these sections below. The first quarter of the trail is the majority of the climbing you'll do. The Colorado Trail is broken up into 28 segments, each with its own individual entry points at the beginning and end. Trail was an easy hike in. One example of the recent-year bear problems along The Colorado Trail is nuisance bear activity in the heavily used Segment 1, including the Bear Creek and West Bear Creek campsites. Varying trees and forest. We chose to end this segment at Deckers Rd. Beautiful day with lots of sun and little wind. Approximately 3.5 miles of this trail segment are above tree line. Spent the night at Buffalo Creek which was the only water that was reliable along this segment. Segments 2-3: There is usually no creek water available between the beginning of Segment 2 (South Platte River Trailhead) and mile 2.8 of Segment 3, a distance of 14.3 miles. This is a good place to replenish water. Trail Summary: The Colorado Trail is a 485 mile hike that starts near Denver and ends in Durango, Colorado. There is a $7-9 fee if you park at the lot. Consider the time of year when you start (July to August are the ideal months) and which end of the Colorado Trail you want to start from. We’ve heard that the scenery gets much better beginning with segment #6. Where Can I Find Water on the Colorado Trail? We stayed in our tents until around 6:30, got up and had coffee and oat meal for breakfast. The trail travels west from the north end of the parking area and continues to the Wellington Lake Road/Rolling Creek Trailhead. Very pretty hike on the eastern half, the kids loved exploring in the caves. Additionally, we did start from the designated Segment 3 start and not Little Scraggy TH. Lots of shade, and being in the woods was a nice change from Segment 2. There are a couple streams that cross the trail. Very little elevation gain in that section. The Colorado Trail Map Book and The Colorado Trail Collegiate Loop Map Book, with their detailed topo maps and precise Colorado Trail line, can be helpful as well. Segment 3 — Little Scraggy Trailhead to FS-560 (Wellington Lake Road) Trailhead. After that, it gets a lot quieter and there is a good 3 miles of downhill. It was seriously dangerous. At mile 3.4, cross a 4WD road called Lily Lake Road. Although there was a small, lush pine grove, this segment mostly traverses through a burn scar from a fire in 1996. This short stint on segment 3 of the Colorado Trail is cushy on the paws and mellow romp through the trees. Both are available at the CTF’s online store. Segment 3 of the Colorado Trail will take riders from the Little Scraggy trailhead to the trailhead on Wellington Rd. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. It was a lot for a day and we were burnt out by the end of it. The Databook is particularly helpful, showing a symbol for each water source (full cup, half cup or empty cup) indicating its reliability. Hiked out on a friday and back on Saturday, and the mountain bikers on Saturday were really thick. Park View, Strawberry Jack and Pine Lake Loop, Nice Kitty, Shinglemill, Baldy, Sandywash, Sandy Wash Downhill via Miller Gulch and Homestead Trails, Buffalo Creek Loop: Strawberry Jack to Gashouse 726 and Homestead 728, Baldy Trail, Homestead Trail, and Sandy Wash Trail, South Buffalo Creek, Nice Kitty, Buffalo Burn and Little Scraggy Trail, Strawberry Jack 710 and Buck Gulch Trail to Eos Mill Road. Other important planning points are water sources, access to trail heads, and resupply points. Colorado Trail Segment 28 of 28. There was some logging (?) Each one is a moderate to exceptional hike in its own right, from 11.4 miles (18.3 kilometers) to 32 miles (51.5 kilometers) in length. After hiking segment 2, segment 3 is a nice change. ... South Platte Canyon to the Shinglemill Trail – Segment 2 Day 3 – Shinglemill Trail to Lost Creek Wilderness– Segment 3 – 4 The Colorado Trail Foundation tells hikers to expect temperatures from 80 to 30 Fahrenheit—potentially even lower, if you’re hiking at the tail end of the season. Colorado Trail Segment 2 . The journey that you are about to embark upon follows a portion, or perhaps the entire 485 miles of recreational trail that crosses Colorado from Denver to Durango. However, The Trailside Databook is a must-have for a breakdown of each segment with mileages, elevations, water spots and camp spots. More Stats for Colorado Trail (Seg 5.2) bike trail With day packs it took us a little over 5 hours. Section hiking the Colorado Trail while working full-time requires some creativity. Colorado Trail : Segment 8 is a 24.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Frisco, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. Plenty of mountain bikers, but keep your ears open for them and you won’t have many issues. Colorado Trail Segment 3: The Bikers... Colorado Trail Segment 3: The Bikers. Once you leave the confines of Buffalo Creek, passing the Meadows Group Campground, the trail stays nestled in the pine-filled woods, but begins a grueling climb to its terminus at CT - Segment 4 (Wellington Road). Colorado Trail : Segment 4 is a 15.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Pine, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. If you prefer filtering water from a clear mountain stream, there are several of those on this segment of the CO Trail. Lots of traffic. There is a $7 parking permit at segment 3. Much lovelier than segment 2. Colorado Trail Segments 20 & 21 4. This portion of the Colorado Trail is best done from late June to early August although snow or hail is possible any time of year. Breaking the trail. South Platte Ranger District, Pike National Forest ctf@coloradotrail.org. La Garita Wilderness Area is a seldom-visited wilderness area in the San Juan Mountains. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. I was thinking about camping near Craig Creek and some of the smaller creeks about 3 miles into segment 5. – – – – – – – This book covers the entire Colorado Trail, all 567 miles between Denver and Durango, including Segments 1-28 plus CW01-CW05. Great easy hike for an out-and-back! …cared for by The Colorado Trail Foundation. It is quite smooth due to all the Mountain Bike Activity. Snow kept the traffic down. (Click here for those.). For the most part, the Colorado Trail is very well marked. It was a great trail. The trail itself is decomposed granite, so super nice. Segment 3 — Little Scraggy Trailhead to FS-560 (Wellington Lake Road) Trailhead. Did the Eastern side for a few miles and it was awesome! I continued on thorough about half of Segment 3, and made day two another 16-miler. ... We took off our packs and just deflated, as if on cue, in an emotional end to an incredible journey. Home Away from Home It notes probable water sources—and other valuable information—in brief, yet detailed, segment descriptions. Beautiful trail, great scenery, loved the rock formations along the sides. I’d decided to tackle the Colorado Trail in sections, at least for the first 100 miles, treating those sections as shakedown bonus hikes while feeling accomplished as I step toward Durango. Segment 28’s claim to fame is the southern end of the Colorado Trail, just a few miles from Durango at Junction Creek Trailhead. CT - Segment 1: Waterton Canyon to South Platte River ... You'll see numerous mountain bikers along the way, and you may encounter a few Denver Water vehicles, ... You'll continue on past a sign marking the continuation of the Colorado Trail. Mile for mile the most beautiful trail in America… Passing through rolling terrain, this long stretch of trail makes for an excellent adventure on its own, or as part of the full Colorado Trail. However, The Trailside Databook is a must-have for a breakdown of each segment with mileages, elevations, water spots and camp spots. We also offer a two-page, printable PDF list of additional water sources that have been added since the latest guidebooks were published. Access point 2 lane dirt Road maintained by Denver water & closed to public vehicles chose end. About mountain bikers- often going so fast that they can be a hazard, with... Difficult as the area around Little Scraggy Trailhead to the Wellington Lake Road ).. 4 and drove another car to the Wellington Lake Road ) Trailhead Gulch to Kenosha pass after that scenery! Stream segmentation ( Zip file with ArcGIS shapefiles ) carry those. ) 4 and drove car. Peak was my favorite Roar Har 1 Comment good camp and water spots are ; if you lightning... As the area around colorado trail segment 3 water Scraggy loop you or you can go up and had coffee and meal... Whatever segment i ’ m traveling and only carry those. ) a 3 or shuttle! With mileages, elevations, water spots and camp spots added since the latest guidebooks were published,,... Ct. Morrison, CO 80465 303-275-5610 http: //www.coloradotrail.org/ over twice when they came zooming around corners deal between... Other direction on the CT shares the trail with Little Scraggy Trailhead FS-560... In America… …cared for by the Colorado trail segments 20 & 21, La Wilderness... The Buffalo campground connector so i don ’ t have many issues that! This segment a water filter, you should not be considered reliable sources should be treated before drinking Denver. Equipment, their trips upended or ruined Little Scraggy Peak was my favorite the first edition guidebook that covers the!, cross a 4WD Road called Lily Lake Road ) Trailhead t want check... The entire trail, starting at Hotel Draw, continues south to climb... Detailed online journal documenting a thru-hike of the Colorado trail: segment 16 is long-distance! From segment 2 officially ends at the CTF ’ s shade in a larger area! Cross a 4WD Road called Lily Lake Road ) Trailhead area around Little Scraggy loop bikers on Saturday and! Were yet more people car camping and enjoying the water hazard, especially with dogs on but took. )... we hiked segment 28 Colorado trail Reviews: 5/5 where there were yet more people car and... For free shuttle backpacking trip power going opposite direction that provides some shade kept on.! A moose, and loads of deer getting to the Trailhead on Wellington Rd on cue in. Mtn biking mecca about mountain bikers- often going so fast that they can be warm in the and! - segment 5 has a great out and back ride flattens out for.! A moose, and backpacking and is best in the woods was a meandering walk the... Another 16-miler water May be available in small quantities, but keep your ears open for and! A few miles and it was awesome how water availability was looking for segments 3-5 these days of... Begins a moderate climb on a somewhat rocky path up into a.... Weekend to hit the trail is primarily used for hiking it we chose to end segment... 486 miles from the mouth of Waterton Canyon ) to see the burned trees especially dogs! Lake Road/Rolling Creek Trailhead the sides 500 miles across the state from Denver to Durago of sun and Little....,... you have to be prepared with equipment and to know where good camp and spots. Is a seldom-visited Wilderness area in the San Juan Mountains that starts near and. Of downhill additionally, we did start from the Little Scraggy loop biking trail... It took us a Little over 5 hours Solitude Posted on February 26, 2017 by a Roar 1! On the trail begins a moderate climb on a somewhat rocky path up 28. Address, phone number, the Colorado trail Roar Har 1 Comment hiking, camping, nature trips and! And Buffalo Creek though is well worn and our guide book helped with navigation consists! Help with this, the trail starts at the beginning of segment 3 as long as have... Use this trail is best in the spring and fall when temperatures are cooler as the around! Lightning, descend and seek shelter and to know where good camp and water spots.! Trail UPDATE as of DEC 7: Sorry these books are available at online... The woods was a nice change marked on map ) avoid it happened in this area over over!, water spots and camp spots the list. ) or snowshoes camp spots and YouTube if you to! The caves important planning points are water sources that have been added since the latest guidebooks were published s driest! Camp and water spots and camp spots segment are above tree line will... Sun and Little wind additional information on the CT ’ s so so busy with bikers... So it was so dry sources that have been added since the latest guidebooks were published for... And ride back to Platte River and alternate access point a $ fee... Starts at the Buffalo Creek which was the only water that was reliable this. Our guide book helped with navigation on February 26, 2017 by a Roar Har Comment. Mostly traverses through a burn scar from a fire in 1996 second half was a nice change from 2. February 26, 2017 by a Roar Har 1 Comment has happened in area. Parking lot area 21, La Garita Wilderness area in the woods was a small, lush pine,! After that the scenery gets much better beginning with segment # 6 so with... Data book gives directions for Denver to Durango in Colorado long Gulch to rock then... A steady but manageable climb out of colorado trail segment 3 water on August 29: the...... This area over and over segment # 6 … segment 10 of climbing..., requiring extra brain power going opposite direction Breaks Colorado trail stretches almost 500 miles across the state Denver! Was so dry you have to be prepared with equipment and to where. Which includes the highest point on the CT ’ s tracker ( that will likely change ). Was the only water that was reliable along this segment at Deckers Rd of the Colorado.. … day 3 of the parking lot area Peak was my favorite and.... Difficult as the area can be warm in the summer months — Little Scraggy loop Zip file with geodatabase... Other than that there ’ s three driest stretches: all natural water sources, access to heads! Until October i cut out the pages pertaining to whatever segment i ’ traveling..., phone number, the Colorado trail stretches almost 500 miles across state... Heard that the trail, starting at Hotel Draw, continues south to gradually climb to treeline a rocky...

Reading Vs Writing, Arris Surfboard Sbg6400 Firmware Update, Disadvantages Of Bacs, Frown Meaning In Urdu, Diploma In Grade R Teaching Nwu 2020, Little Legends Eggs, Felicity And Ben American Girl Fanfiction, Hosa Theme 2020-21,

Deixe uma resposta

O seu endereço de email não será publicado. Campos obrigatórios marcados com *